History of Sacred Heart Church - Lancaster
The early history of Sacred Heart Church is a bit sketchy, but in the 1870’s the earliest records indicate that the Antelope Valley was served by priests from San Buenaventura Mission, Ventura. In the 1880’s Fr. Patrick Barron, the pastor at St. Malachy’s in Tehachapi, would make the trip to Lancaster and celebrate Mass. In 1886 he helped begin the building of the first Catholic Church in Lancaster which was completed in 1890, the year the parish was established.
Several other priests continued to serve the parish and area missions, including Fr. Joseph Wanner, who in 1907 was named pastor of Sacred Heart Church while serving and living at St. Malachy. In 1916 Fr. John Meehan was named pastor and in 1918 he moved into the rectory in Lancaster which had been built next to the church.